Check out my latest post for InPower Women!
With the Inauguration in the rear view mirror, it’s officially time for the 113th Congress and President Obama to get back to work. Women were big winners in the November elections and the current Congress set a new record for female members when officially sworn in earlier this month. That’s the good news. The bad news is that new records means that female representation in Congress jumped from a high of 17% to a new high of 18%.
But it sounds more depressing than it really is, as these infographics from Mother Jones indicate. Some fast facts:
- 1 in 3 newly elected members is a woman
- 184 women ran for Congress in 2012 and nearly half were elected
- The state of New Hampshire will be sending an entirely female delegation to Washington with a female Governor at home
- Four states are sending their first female Senators; Hawaii, Massachusetts, North Dakota and Wisconsin
And let’s not forget that there are now 20 women serving in the Senate, up from 17 in the 112th Congress.
Read the rest at InPowerWomen.com!
It was a very busy and productive fall, but I haven’t been able to post any updates lately because of computer issues. Did you know WordPress has a mobile app? Did you also know that typing blog posts on your phone is very time consuming?
Fingers crossed, I’ll be back on my computer soon, but until then, a promise. In the next few weeks I will:
1. Update about working with Google at the conventions. With pictures!
2. Update about the Google+ hangouts with ABC News on election day and tracking down voters from all 50 states!
3. Write about my trip to Vegas! Including a jaunt to the Grand Canyon!
4. Talk about volunteering with the New York Women in Communication on their awesome student conference.
5. Finally write about the election. There are 20 women in the Senate!!!
6. Updates on some exciting projects to come, including a big collaboration with my amazing husband.
Until then, some pictures!
The Google set at the RNC in Tampa
Chelsea Clinton touring the RNC Google space
One of the amazing tigers at Big Cat Rescue in Tampa (and one of the aforementioned projects)
The Google space at the DNC in Charlotte
The Bellagio Fountain in Vegas
Self-portrait at the Grand Canyon
More to come!